Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Ulrichs Global Serials Directory
Not sure if an article is scholarly or popular? Ulrichs has detailed information on more than 300,000 publications. Enter journal/magazine title in the search box and find your publication. Then, look for Academic/Scholarly in the Content Type field.
Try these titles:
- Scientific American
- Agronomy for Sustainable Development
Ulrichsweb Global Serials Directory This link opens in a new window
Profiles nearly a quarter of a million consumer and trade magazines, academic and scholarly publications, monographic series, newsletters, newspapers, electronic publications, 'zines, and many other types of serial publications on all subjects.
Example: Scholarly Article
- This article describes the results of a study (it has a methods section, a results section, & description of how the study was carried out, etc)
- There are lots of citations and references to other research
- Charts and graphs illustrate the findings
- The article was written by a researcher in this field
Example: Popular Article
- The article tells a story (introducing us to particular people telling us about their lives, etc.)
- Lack of academic jargon / few references
- Does not describe a study; rather is telling us about a program
- No assumption that we already know a large amount about this topic