The UC Merced Library Is:
A Core Tool for Research
- Work strategically with other UC Libraries to control rising costs of information.
- Create economically sustainable models of scholarly communication in concert with other libraries, researchers, and publishers.
- Provide an access-oriented collection by valuing distribution over rationing and access over ownership.
- Assure long-term accessibility of intellectual assets through curation, preservation, and by promoting effective information management practices among researchers and scholars.
A Resource for Education
- Provide core information resources for undergraduate and graduate education.
- Provide services and instruction that develop information literate, research ready students.
- Collaborate extensively with faculty and student support services to achieve information literacy goals.
- Provide study and collaboration spaces that meet the real-world needs of students.
- Provide an educational work experience for library student employees.
An Efficient Organization
- Allow librarians to function as managers.
- Practice outstanding project management from concept to completion.
- Develop a highly adaptable workforce.
- Provide exceptional professional development and training.
- Avoid organizational stagnation.