- Open https://www.anaconda.com/products/individual#Downloads with your web browser.
- Download the 64-Bit (x86) Installer for Linux.
(This installation requires using the shell. If you aren't comfortable doing the installation yourself, stop here and request help at the workshop.)
- Open a terminal window and navigate to the directory where the executable is downloaded. For example
and then press Tab to autocomplete the full file name. The name of file you just downloaded should appear.
- Press Enter. You will follow the text-only prompts. To move through the text, press Spacebar.
yes and press enter to approve the license.
- Press Enter to approve the default location for the files.
yes and press Enter to prepend Anaconda to your
PATH (this makes the Anaconda distribution the default Python).
- Close the terminal window.
You may need to install additional prerequisites for the Anaconda graphical user interface. If you can't launch the Anaconda Navigator application, or if it's not working correctly, consult the installation guidelines for your distro: https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/install/linux/
Verify your installation
- Launch the Anaconda Navigator application
- In the Jupyter Lab section, click the Launch button
- Jupyter Lab should open a new tab in your web browser. Visit the tab, and under the Notebook heading, click Python 3
- A new notebook titled "Untitled.ipynb" should appear