1. Connect to the campus network via the VPN if you are off-campus. You will need this connection to access one or more library databases while taking the tutorial.
2. Take the short quiz at the end of the tutorial. Enter your email address AND your professor's email address. Afterwards locate the email confirmation. These emails often go to your SPAM folder, so be sure to check there. It is often easiest to search in your email account for the phrase "Certificate of completion" to find your email confirmation.
3. You are ready! Click on the link below to start the tutorial. Follow the instructions on the left hand of the screen and, as directed, complete activities in the main screen (right).
Finding a Known Item >> https://ucmercedlibrary.libwizard.com/f/known-item
1. Look for the article title in Google Scholar. Try the title OR UC-eLinks/Get it at UC hyperlink.
2. Look for the article title inUC Library Search. Look for the Availabile Online link or request form.
3. Look for the journal title. Select the Journals tab on the library home page. See if the journal is available. Is the date you need available?
4. You may be able to find it in a major database IF it belongs to a specific subject area.
Try it Out: Do we have these articles?
Balsa, Carlos J.L., “Sustainable transportation planning on college campuses” Department of Landscape Architecture and Regional Planning, University of Massachusetts, Hills North, Amherst, MA, Transport Policy 10.1 (2003).
Vunjak-Novakovic, G., Lui, K. O., Tandon, N., & Chien, K. R. (August 02, 2011). Bioengineering Heart Muscle: A Paradigm for Regenerative Medicine. Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, 13.
Falconer, D. G., Ficklin, R. W., & Konolige, K. G. (January 01, 2000). Robot-Mounted Through-Wall Radar for Detecting, Locating, and Identifying Building Occupants. Proceedings, 2, 1868-1875.