Text mining is the process of using automation to analyze collections of textual materials in order to capture key concepts and themes and uncover hidden relationships and trends.
This distilled, structured information can be used to address questions such as:
- Which concepts occur together?
- What else are they linked to?
- What higher level categories can be made from extracted information?
- What do the concepts or categories predict?
- How do the concepts or categories predict behavior?
from About Text Mining, IBM Knowledge Center