Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
How can I be an ethical user of information including photos, video, and sound?
Before using an image for a specific purpose, look for information that indicates how the image can be used and if there are any restrictions.
- Images may be copyrighted. Use is restricted. Permission from the information creator is required before the image can be used.
- Images may be assigned a Creative Commons (CC) license. Multiple licenses are available. Information creators select rules for how their images (or other work) can be used.
- Images may be in the Public Domain or assigned a Creative Commons Zero (CCO) license (known as a Public Domain dedication). Information creators may choose to waive their rights and opt out of copyright by assigning a CCO license to their work. This information may be used without restriction.
see Nelli's "The Creative Commons Licenses" post
More on Creative Commons
- Creative Commons Licenses Explanation - Key components - Attribution, ShareAlike, NoDerivs (no changes) and NonCommercial
- Creative Common Licenses (from Northeastern University IT Services) - Scroll down for an excellent "Legend of Creative Commons License Restrictions" and a "Cheat Sheet" chart of how those license can be combined.
- Creative Commons Videos in Vimeo - Explains Creative Commons licensing (see right hand panel) and allows you to browse Vimeo videos by CC license.
Photos are for editorial use and make require permission to use. Once searching, select Image filter at left.
free images and video, can use without permission
photos can be freely used though photographers appreciate attribution
Creative Commons - Images
Select "modify, adapt, or build upon". Choose the content to search. Look on the website for filters. View license information.
Flickr - Creative Commons
Explore images tagged with an 1) Attribution license, 2) Attribution / Non-Commercial license, or 3) Attribution / Non-Commercial / No-Deriatives.
Look for Free Files (combines pay files too). Click on image & see license agreement.
high resolution images, free to use
search for images; at right, you can select to only view CCO - Public Domain images or Attribution Required images
New York Public Library (NYPL) Digital Gallery
often more historical items includes "Cite this Item"
UC Merced Images
photographs of UC Merced spaces, students, and activities; log into download images
Capture Pictures from Video