Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
#1 Find Books, DVDs, Articles, & More in UC Library Search
UC Library Search is the library catalog and a search tool to explore content at UC Merced, UC libraries, and other libraries worldwide.
#2 Locate & Use Subject Databases
- The library has over 600 databases.
- Use databases to access journal articles, news articles, magazine articles, dissertations, theses, images, streaming music, etc.
- Article databases may include only the citation, the full-text of an article (actual resource), or a combination of both.
#3 Request Resources from Other Libraries through Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
- If the library doesn't have an item, request to borrow it from another library through Interlibrary Loan.
- Look for a UC-eLinks button or Get it at UC button or Request button in most databases or catalogs to get to the request form. Your library card account number on the form is your UCMnetID.
- Articles normally take 3-5 business days to obtain. Books take a little longer. Articles will be made available electronically and will be delivered via email for download. Books will be available in print for pick-up at Library Services Desk on the 2nd floor.
#4 Access Your Library Accounts
- Check your My Library account to see what books you have checked out. Your account includes local items and items ordered through Interlibrary Loan.
- Use your My ILL Requests account if you want to request an ILL renewal. This must be done a few days before the item is due.
- Use your UCMnetID to access either account.
#5 Print, Copy, Scan, & Connect to Wi-Fi
- Print jobs can be retrieved in the library in black & white or color. See Print, Copy, Scan for details and costs.
- Scanners are available. Email documents or save onto a USB drive.
- CatNet is the preferred wireless network in the library.
- For help troubleshooting tech questions, see IT Express, located next to the Library Services Desk on the 2nd floor.
#6 Connect to Library Resources Off-Campus
- Access resources off-campus via the Virtual Private Network (VPN).
- Set-up the VPN one time and then easily login with your UCMnetID and password.
- For help with the VPN, see IT Express, located next to the Library Services Desk on the 2nd floor.
#7 Manage Your Resources
- RefWorks is a citation management tool that can store, format, and cite resources.
- Use your UCMnetID to create an account.
- See the RefWorks guide for detailed instructions.
- More RefWorks information is available at the Citing Sources guide.
#8 Borrow Items with Your CatCard
- Use your CatCard to check out items from the Library Services Desk, located on the 2nd floor.
- For undergraduates, UC Merced books check out for six months and DVDs for 2 weeks.
- See a list of other items available for check out.
- Return dates for ILL materials are determined by the lending library.
#9 Use Library Spaces & Reserve a Room
- Library spaces are available for quiet and collaborative study.
- The McFadden-Willis Reading Room (KL 455) and KL 460 are best for quiet study. The Reading Room (KL 355; AKA the Green Room) is being piloted as a quiet study space for the duration of 2017.
- Collaborative Work Rooms are great for solo or group study and can be reserved up to 48 hours in advance. Rooms can be reserved for up to two hours at at time. Visit crs.ucmerced.edu to make a reservation.
- See Library Maps for room locations in the Kolligian Library building. Room numbers above 50 are on the library side (east wing); numbers below 50 are on the admin/student services side (west wing).
#10 Ask for Help
- Get help from a librarian with research. See Ask a Librarian for many contact options, including the 24/7 Chat, scheduling appointments, and Roving Reference.
- Visit our FAQs or Library Tutorials for pre-answered questions or how-to videos.
- Get help from student assistants with technology troubleshooting. See IT Express, located next to the Library Services Desk on the 2nd floor.