Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Citing your sources is important because:
- Giving credit (attribution) to original authors helps you avoid plagiarizing
- Citations allow your readers to find your sources
- Citations add credibility to your arguments
- Citations are an expected part of standard academic discourse
Citation: A (Very) Brief Introduction (NCSU)
Different citation formats are used by different academic disciplines. Professors will often require a particular format, but if they have no preference these guidelines may be helpful:
- APA - psychology, education, and other social sciences
- MLA - literature, arts, and humanities
- Turabian - also used often in literature, history, and the arts
- Chicago - used with all subjects in the "real world" by books, magazines, newspapers and other non-scholarly publications
More Citation Tools
Bibme Bibliography Generator
Free automatic bibliography generator that supports MLA, APA, Chicago, and Turabian formatting
Assists students and professional researchers to properly credit the information they use.
NCSU Citation Builder
Citation Builder creates citations for you in APA, MLA, and Chicago CBE/CSE formats.
Enter a URL, ISBN, title etc.to build your bibliography.