In preparation for our in-person library session, please complete the following.
1) View the Sociological Abstracts video (2:30) for some context about the database. This will help you for item #2.
2) Complete the GOTS (Guide on the Side Tutorial) in order to locate Sociological Abstracts, be introduced to search strategies and to try out this database's functionality.
3) View the "From Idea to Library" video (2:28). Think about the questions asked.
We will start our session with a review of what you have learned.
This video presents an Introduction to using Sociological Abstracts. Created by Utah State University Libraries (2.30)
Through this tutorial you will learn how to
1. Connect to the campus network via the VPN if you are off-campus. You will need this connection to access one or more library databases while taking the tutorial.
2. Take the short quiz at the end of the tutorial. Enter your email address AND your professor's email address, email@example.com. Afterwards locate the email confirmation. These emails often go to your SPAM folder, so be sure to check there. Search in your email for the phrase "Certificate of completion" to find your email confirmation.
3. You are ready! Click on the link below to start the tutorial. Follow the instructions as you complete the activities in Sociological Abstracts. You will need to adjust your display to view both the tutorial and the database at the same time, or you can toggle back and forth as you complete the tutorial.
Using Sociological Abstracts >> http://ucmercedlibrary.info/guide_on_the_side/tutorial/using-sociological-abstracts
North Carolina State University (NCSU) Libraries, 2:28