Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
ARTstor is an ever-growing digital library of over 500,000 images of art, architecture and archeology from a wide range of cultures and time periods to support teaching and learning in the humanities and social sciences.
Collections from museums available in ARTstor
These print titles are indexes that will point you to images.
Creating an ARTSTOR Account
Creating an account in ARTSTOR insures that you will be able to use all features of the database.
- To create an account, click here.
- Click Log In.
- In 3rd box, select University of California Merced from the drop down menu.
- Click Log In.
- Log in with your UCMnetID and password.
OR Register in the upper right hand corner of the page. This will not involve a single sign-on but will prompt you to make your own account.
Key Features in ARTSTOR
Use Advanced Search (the link is under the Search box)
- Click "In Any Field" and select Style or Period instead. If you search for roman in Style or Period is will pull up items tagged with "Roman Period".
- You could also limit to a Geography field e.g. Europe
- You could limit to specific Dates (found under the Advanced Search boxes) e.g. 509 B.C.E. to ...
- After a search (whether a Basic of Advanced search), use the Classification filters. e.g. Paintings. However, the the Classification filters can be limited.
View Image, Work with Image, Locate Image Metadata
- Click on an image thumbnail to generate a larger image view. You will see options to Download, Cite this Item, and Copy the URL.
- Item Details are available in the right panel.
Create Group from Large Image Page
- When viewing an image, you can "Add to Group".
- The pop-window will ask you to Select a group (already existing), or you can "Create a new group with image".