Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
RefWorks is a citation management software tool available to UC Merced students, faculty and staff. RefWorks helps you ...
- manage your research materials.
- create bibliographies.
- generate in-text citations. (Word, Google Docs)
- annotate articles.
- share references / documents with others.
Create an account.
- At RefWorks, select "Login via your institution's credential for single sign-on" OR login directly for a non single sign-on account.
View upcoming RefWorks workshops at our calendar.
Learn more information about the new RefWorks interface.
Common Citation Formats
- APA - psychology, education, and other social sciences
- MLA - literature, arts, and humanities
- Turabian - designed for college students to use with all subjects
- Chicago - used with all subjects in the "real world" by books, magazines, newspapers and other non-scholarly publications
- CSE/ Science - used in the sciences and can take 3 different forms: citation-sequence; citation-name; and name-year.
Area of Study - Citation Styles
Each discipline has a preferred citation style. View these sources to determine what citation style is best suited for your area of study.
Cite Functionality - Google Scholar
Look for the Cite hyperlink under citations in Google Scholar. This also provides the option of exporting to RefWorks.
Cite Functionality - UC Library Search
Click on Citation to pull up a pop-up box with citation information that can be changed to different citation styles based on your assignment. Simply copy and paste the citation in your paper.
If you are using RefWorks as a citation manager- Look for the "RefWorks" link in UC Library Search when you are looking at a single record.