Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Key Word Chart
Look for alternate terms for each concept in your topic.
Tips for Finding Keywords & Subject Headings
- Use a visual thesaurus like Snappy Words, Visuwords, or GraphWords
- Use references sources like Credo Reference to get background information and key words.
- Most EBSCO databases have a tool to help you discover subject terms. See EBSCO Academic Search Complete > Subject Terms
- Most ProQuest databases have a tool to help you discover subject terms: See PsycInfo > Thesaurus
- When you find a useful article, look at the database Subject Headings and record them as possible search terms. (Example)
Identify Key Concepts and Terms
Identify the key concepts in your topic:
Will student use of social media destroy privacy in schools?
Brainstorm for related terms:
Try Academic Search Complete > Subject Terms to find subject headings for your topic.