Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Surface Web, Deep Web, Dark Web
Beyond the Basic Search
Google Advanced Search
Allows for complex searches and includes options for searching within region, language, site or domain
Scholarly literature search engine; features include researcher profiles, citations, and ability to access full text or request through ILL using UC eLinks
- Limit to a specific site in the basic Google search bar: "black holes" site:.http://www.physicstoday.org
- Use quotes to search for a phrase: "dog sweaters"
- Use a hyphen to exclude words: jaguar speed -car
- Find a page that links to another: link:library.ucmerced.edu
- Find sites similar to other sites: related:npr.com
- Find results limited to a specific file type: 2017 1040 EZ filetype:pdf
Why not just use Google for your research projects?
- Often more time consuming than using library databases
- First few results are from commercial sites or Wikipedia
- Sometimes hard to establish the authority of the site
- Unable to filter or refine results
- You will miss out on the 'good' stuff