Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
My topic does not have unique terminology.
My area of interest needs to be refined.
In short, how do I move from this topic to possible search terms?
Clarify your research intent.
- Topic of interest: "communicating in business fields"
- Clarify: "How can businesses connect with customers through social media tools?"
Reword your research question.
- Topic of Interest: "Teaching practices and how they are apparent in students rather than the faculty."
- Reword: "How effective are students in teaching their own peers?"
Seek out subject terms through a search.
- What terms are used to capture your concepts?
- Conduct a search. See what the search tool offers for ideas.
- e.g. teaching AND peers in Education Source, possible Subject = peer teaching
Use a Thesaurus. Find out the terminology (controlled vocabulary) and related terms. e.g. SU Exposition (Rhetoric), Communication in Science
, Criminal Justice
, Gardening and Horticulture
, Government Publications
, Health Sciences
, Native American Studies
, Political Science
, Psychology and Cognitive Science
, Urban Studies